CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Domesticity

Believe me, there is no other place I would rather be then being home with my kids and taking care of my family. But I do admit that I don't have a clue of what I am doing! I don't craft or scrapbook, I don't know how to decorate or even hang a picture, I don't know how to sew or knit, and the list of unknowns for me can continue on and on. When I quit work to stay at home with Juliet, I stuck to the basics, simple meals, keeping the house clean and orderly and take care of my sweet baby. I didn't really stray beyond what I knew how to do. Well, here we are 3 years later and I am finally tip toeing out into the daunting world of domesticity, as i like to call it and so far its been very rewarding. I learned how to can! Yes, I did!!! My mother dosen't even know how to do this! Yakima has a bounty to cheap and wonderful fresh fruits and veggies, sometimes even FREE! Everyone and their dog here knows how to can, so I decided to jump on the bandwagon and give it a try. Here is a list of yummy things I learned how to make!

Currant Jelly! This was my first effort at canning and pretty adventurous too I have to say. One of my lovely neighbors lives on a farm and has giant currant bushes she invited me to pick for free. So we picked (well Ryan picked) and brought me home two bags full of currants. Then I looked at these bags of currants and thought, what am I going to make with all of these?? So my neighbor suggested making currant jelly! I tried some she had made last year and it was VERY yummy! So I borrowed her jucier and juiced all the berries. Then combined the juice with sugar and pectin mixture then ladled into my hot jars and processed them in my friend's canner. At first they didn't seem to be setting up, but then after a few weeks on my shelf I have yummy currant jelly! After that I was hooked and wanted to try it again!

Canned Peaches and Peach Jam! With my friend Kara and peeled and chopped up two boxes of mouthwatering delicious peaches, made a light syrup, and make 24 quarts of canned peaches and a dozen cans of peach jam. SOOOOO good! A sticky gooey mess, but amazing!

Canned Pears and Pear Jam! Ok, have you ever heard of Pear jam? I hadn't, until the sweet lady I visit teach, who gives me all my canning advice, gave me a jar of her famous pear jam and I about died and went to heaven eating my toast the next morning. I had to have some of that! So I bought me a box of yummy cheap bartlett pears and scored a bonus free box from a friend and went to work by myself canning a dozen and a half quarts of Pears and two batches of amazing pear jam! It was a LONG day in the kitchen, but amazing results!

Strawberry and Raspberry Freezer jam! We were able to pick FREE strawberries and raspberries from a couple's garden in our ward and I made yummy strawberry and raspberry jam. Berry picking is so much fun! There is also a local bluberry farm near our house that we picked at this summer and I froze two giant bags of! So we can enjoy them through the winter!


Here is a picture of some of my work!
The whole freezer is full of these!

In addition to all my canned goodies, I have been baking and cooking up the wazoo! I have always liked to cook, but lately I am discovering how much I LOVE to cook and especially BAKE! I know this could be bad for my waistline, but I just can't help myself! Here is a list of yuumy things that have been cooking in my cozy kitchen! Most of these were new receipes...
Peach and Apple Pie
Peanut Butter Banana Bread
Apple Butter (Heaven!)
Homeade Rolls
Homeade Bread
Butternut Squash Soup
Apple and Cheddar Scones
Roasted Garlic and Cauliflower Pasta
Stuffed Turkey Meatloaf
I wish I had pictures of all of these but we eat everything up to fast, I will be better about taking pics and maybe posting receipes.
Another goal that I've been slowly working on and learning more about is Food Storage. I have been slowing learning to buy more everytime I go to the store and have a pretty good stock right now, we filled a 50gal barrel full of water, and I even have been grinding my own wheat flour! These last week I worked really hard and orgainized our entire 72hour kits for the whole family and have everything ready if something were to happen. It feels good to have at least that done, but I have a long way to go and alot to learn about!
So even though I am still not crafty and I can't sew, I try to celebrate the things I am learning and just go from there! Life is good!

2 comments:

Holly said...

I am very proud of you for branching out and trying new things. I started canning two years ago and I find it rewarding. Good luck trying new things. I can't wait to hear more!

Alexis said...

That is so cool! You are a regular ol' Martha Stewart.